A Walk 06-Oct-2019
Leader: Lynn & Dave
Distance (miles): 10.50
Ascent (feet): 1046
SUTTON BANK TO AMPLEFORTH
Today’s walk starts at Sutton Bank Visitor’s Centre, where toilet facilities are available. Joining the Cleveland Way, heading towards the Gliding Station which we will pass on our left, we can admire the wonderful vistas across the Yorkshire countryside on our right. We continue until we reach the famous White Horse of Kilburn just below us and then descend to a picnic spot where we will have our coffee stop.
Following the footpath down towards Kilburn village, famous for its “Mouse man” furniture, we pass the showroom and workshops before heading up past the church and reaching the pretty village of High Kilburn. Heading across the fields and tracks we reach Oldstead renowned for its Michelin starred pub, The Black Swan, which can be glimpsed in this delightful village.
From this point to the end of the walk the A and B walks follow the same route, along a wide track through Snever Woods into the village of Wass where we will take our lunch break and partake of the facilities at the Stapylton Arms or alternatively there is a tea room at the Byland Abbey Inn.
After lunch we cross a meadow to reach the sad but impressive ruins of Byland Abbey, founded as a Savigniac/Cistercian Abbey in 1135 and which was subsequently a victim of Henry VIII’s dissolution of the monasteries.
We continue crossing the fields towards Wass Grange farm and on towards the road as we approach Ampleforth, famous for its Catholic Boarding School.